Cactus Jacks - Service engine light was tampered with/black tape under light inside cluster
BEWARE...USED CAR DEALERSHIPS DO NOT NEED TO HAVE STATE OBDII EMISSION TEST DONE!!in June 2013 I Bought a 2003 buick from avondale catus jacks and my main question was smog issues.
I am from CA and emission is tough, but everyone, dealers included. So when I asked, I was told yes it passed state smog, and would be good for 2 years. As I told them I didnt want to deal with emission testing for the first 2 years like in CA. Well, within 6 weeks power seat broke, within 8 weeks ac went out.
Then in Jan. I received notice from the state that emission test would be needed to register car. I was mad, I called dealer to find out why when he told me it was good for 2 years. Then I told him of all the other issues with the car, so this extra expense of paying the 27.50 for the test just took me over the edge.
(not that it is much, but was told it wasnt going to be needed). He told me to bring the car down, they would trade it in, well got there and he tells me he cant till the balance is less than 2000.00. Well, i put 2500 down, 71 for registration and 300.00 amonth payments. and after 8 months still owed 4802 on the 7000 car.
Well took the car for test, and it failed before they even pluged it in. The service engine light did not come on at all..I said but there is a service vehicle light that comes on, I was informed there is a service engine light on the other side of the cluster..I was shocked it was hard to see but yep there was one and it didnt come on. When I bought the car the light never came on over on that side at all..so I thought all was good when the one I seen always went off one car is turned on. Well contacted ADEQ and BBB...they told ADEQ they would do the repairs for free..they told me they would make payment arrangements for the repairs and defer on payment so I could them done.
Well, the defered payment I found was costing me as much as one payment in just compounded daily interest, had to pay a 5.00 fee to pay it via debit card, when I got there they said cash only and they have signs all over the waiting room "NO CASH, CHECKS or MO ONLY"..they wouldnt take a check, had to drive 38.5 miles each way to pay it. So after my first 300.00 in code repairs, it still was sending codes. The light had not been looked at yet, as I had to wait till my next payday to do anymore. Catus Jacks said they would fix the light for free, that made me feel like they knew something???
just odd. On the 2nd of this month I paid to have the light done, I took it to a private auto repair shop. They called me before removing the cluster. When I got there they removed the cluster, kept it plugged in and turn the key...OMG..you could see the light on from the top of the cluster!!
They took the cluster out of the car, lifted the top just a little, and you could see black tape over the service engine soon. They took photos, took off the tape,I then contacted ADEQ...well they can do NOTHING!!! EPA states that is tampering, but adeq states I have to prove who put the tape there. After looking at emission records found that in feb 2012 car failed emission twice for the same codes and light, but passed on the 3rd try.
So someone between March 2012 and when catus jacks got the car someone put the black tape on it, but they did an emission test, only tail pipe is needed for used car dealers, they just sign it off. But they are professionals who are the one that are to check emission systems before selling the car...filed complaint with EPA, BBB, AG and 3 on your side..folks need to know that they need an OBDll state emission test.
My car is sitting, not legal to drive, needs at least another 500 to 600 in repairs, if lucky.They can have the car back and we can go to court and let the judge know they sell cars that will not pass state OBD emissions...have the proof
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Emission Tampering
- Review category
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "I now exactly what you mean' Jason Brewer is nothing but a big fat 2 faced liar!!! along with Nathan Hedges. I just can't believe the poor quality and carelessness..."
- "We ordered a brand new 2014 Georgetown 378XL and took delivery from Cold Springs RV in Weare NH in late May 2013. We immediately noted undisclosed damage to the outside..."
- "Well, when many people told me not to buy a Volkswagen, I simply ignored them and thought, "they are a ford/Chevy die hard fan, what do they know?" Turns out,..."
- "MEMPHIS TN SHELBY COUNTY...............Extended Arms Cleaning Contractor's ....Nancy Taylor it's a crime to online harass make FALSE claims call or in anyway directly or in directly try to contact myself..."
- "This clinic removes all of the many negative comments almost immediately from its Instagram page..... but sometimes you catch one before it disappears! Nadia's comment has already vanished! Check for..."
- "We spent a lot of labor prepping the deck properly according to instructions. Spent a lot of hours applying the deck over. Actually left town to allow the decking to..."
- "I bought BEHR Premium Plus Ultra 1-gal. Deep Base Flat Exterior Paint $36.98 / each to paint a metal fence and gate. I spent 17 hours grinding..."
- "Cannot connect to Smilebox suddenly after a 6 year membership. They have no one to help you and you are at the mercy of communicating with them only online. They..."
- "That's right they have all your phone number you call on use them to haress your family your friends for unpaid amounts after you cancel them! They lost me friends..."